DC ramps up Foodstuffs deliveries

Foodstuffs south Island DCFoodstuffs South Island’s has opened a new 31,587sqm distribution centre (DC) in Hornby, Christchurch.

The greenfield project connects to the existing 14,000sqm ambient warehouse at Hornby and consolidates operations from the old Papanui DC in Christchurch.

It sits alongside a 4000sqm temperature controlled DC already present on the site and will service 300 New World, Pak’nSave, Four Square, and On the Spot stores throughout the South Island.

“From as far afield as Collingwood and Stewart Island the distribution network sees 200 trucks leave the DC every day and travel a massive 6 million kilometres around the country each year,” said John Mullins, GM supply chain, Foodstuffs South Island.

“Across the new ambient section of the site 400 staff distribute over 450,000 cartons of product out to our supermarkets 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The temperature controlled warehouse adds another 210,000 cartons each week, with the total number of cartons distributed rising to as many as one million at busy times such as Christmas and Easter.”

Around 70 per cent of goods supplied to Foodstuffs’ supermarkets are from the DC, with the remaining 30 per cent direct from suppliers.

Screen Shot 2015-02-12 at 3.26.43 pm

Screen Shot 2015-02-12 at 3.27.02 pm

You have 7 articles remaining. Unlock 15 free articles a month, it’s free.